Whitewater Rafting in California
This site is intended as a resource for whitewater recreation in California. The information is designed to benefit rafting enthusiasts and private rafters. Our site has information about California outfitters and also resources for rafting businesses. Our goal is to provide river information, stories, discussion, gear, flows, and other resources specifically for California whitewater rafting.
The Must-Do Rivers in California
1. The South Fork of the American: This is the most popular rafting trip in California because it has lots of Class III+ rapids, a long rafting season, and is relatively safe. Spring, Summer and Fall.
2. The North Fork of the American: Steep Class IV rapids in a tight gorge with crystal clear water. This is the premier class 4+ trip on the American River. This makes a great trip for those of you that want a technical challenge. Spring and early Summer.
3. The Middle Fork of the American The Middle Fork American is another popular river of the American River. Located just outside of Auburn, California, Middle Fork American features the legendary Class 4+ rapid called "Tunnel Chute." A perfect class 4 river for the paddling enthusiast! Duration from spring to fall.
4. The Tuolumne: This river is the cream of the crop with famous Class IV rapids and "Wild and Scenic" scenery. Located near Yosemite National Park, most of the river takes advantage of the great hikes and spectacular scenery by spending a night or two in the canyon. Spring and Summer.
5. The Cal Salmon: This California rafting trip is for those of you that are hooked. Near the California-Oregon border, this river is well worth the drive for the numerous Class IV rapids and three famous Class V rapids. You'll set up a base camp as you explore different sections of this river. Spring only.
6. Kings River is located south of central California. This is one of the few rivers in California in which you can experience a Class III river and big water in the spring.
7. Forks of the Kern: This three day trip has over 40 Class IV rapids and 3 big Class V's. Granite boulders, breathtaking vistas, and huge waterfalls make this a spectacular rafting trip. You'll have to hike two miles into the put-in and warm-up on some other class IV rivers first, though. Spring only.
California Rafting News
About Cell Phones Erm... about your cell phone. When you call us and leave a message from your cell phone while you are driving, here is what we hear: a garble of words that include a cell number that is barely decipherable.... (May 17)
About Cell Phones Erm... about your cell phone. When you call us and leave a message from your cell phone while you are driving, here is what we hear: a garble of words... (May 17)
Halfway to Halfway Halfway to Halfway and Other River Stories, co-written and complied by ECHO co-owner Dick Linford, won first prize for anthologies/compilations at the... (May 13)
Exercise, Let's Walk! May brings warm weather, and the thoughts of summer vacations. Thoughts of hiking with your family, rafting with the kids, camping with multiple gener... (May 9)
Northern California Rafting Trips - Spring 2013 Hello Boys and Girls... Heffe wrote this one! I once again had the opportunity to go on another W.E.T. River Trips sponsored rafting trip to the los... (May 2)
Recognition We are pleased to announce that National Geographic Traveler, National Geographic’s magazine dedicated to travel, has selected Northwest Rafting... (Apr 18)
Salmon Yoga & Wellness Trip Yoga & Wellness Retreat Mind and Body on the Main Salmon River Join transformational teacher Kyle Mercer and yoga instructor Alex Newport-B... (Apr 11)
My Favorite Camp: Little Pine There are many wonderful camps on the Middle Fork, and I could write a story about the good times I have had at many of those places. High on that lis... (Apr 8)
Stand Up Paddleboarding We’ve gone crazy for SUP (Stand Up Paddleboarding) here at ECHO! The new inflatable SUPs are much more stable, especially with their ability to ... (Apr 6)
LATE GUESTS...Late Arrivals Sun is streaming through the trees, bathing the sidewalk in a bright light that is almost painful to view after months of dark clouds and gray fog. Th... (Mar 25)
My Favorite Middle Fork Camp: Survey Creek My favorite camp on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River has always been Survey (aka Dutch Oven). It?s a nice bench on the left side of the river at mi... (Mar 15)
Rogue Trail Running Trip Rogue River Trail Running Trip - Join Momentum River Expeditions and ultra runners Jenn Shelton and Billy Barnett on a 3-Day raft supported Trail Runn... (Mar 12)
WHITEWATER RAFTING ~ March 2013 March 1, 2013 is today. All day. Another year of rafting on our glorious rivers! Whitewater begins again this month with W.E.T. River Trips in Califor... (Mar 1)
THE POPE ~ Resigns My pope stepped down today. Pope Benedict XVI thought his health was jeopardizing his pope-position. Wow! Seriously? Whodathought? Pope Benedict XV... (Mar 1)
US Postal Service ~ USPS 2013 Our mail is in shambles. With a $15.9 billion loss, is anyone getting regular mail? Or is your mailbox or postal box just filled with advertising circ... (Feb 25)
Camas Creek Camp (my new favorite!) Last August, I did my second trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. I was curious to see what the river was like at lower-water. (Since the first 25 m... (Feb 1)
Disclaimer: River descriptions and classifications may change due to natural events that may create new hazards or flows. C-W-R advises that any paddler that uses this site be additionally informed by seeking out local news and updates for changes on this river.
Site Map | Contact | Advertising | California Whitewater Rafting
© 2013 C-W-R.com
PO Box 160024
Sacramento, CA 95816
Attn: California Whitewater Rafting